Monday, August 16, 2010

California Girl Like Katy Perry

August 5
Last night, I had a date with the bathroom. My body was not feeling so fond of Ecuador, and I was not liking my body very much either, not when I had to walk 20 minutes to the bus station with some rather energetic acrobats flipping around inside my stomach.
I had to laugh a little that the subject of Spanish class on this particular day was all about food. Food food food. I went to class covering my nose to repudiate any possible aroma or thoughts of food, and here we each had to describe in detail how to prepare a type of food. Pan. Lechuga. Tomate. Mora. Arroz.
My previous trips to developing nations had me expecting illness, but one always hopes that they’ll be spared the unpleasantness of abruptly rushing out of their class to puke in a public restroom.
I guess that’s all part of the Study Abroad experience.
But really, I wish that I wasn’t always the first one…
Anyway, after being cocooned under my covers for something like 14 hours enduring the angry stomach acrobats, all is well again! Risa, George, Kelly and I visited two parks in Quito with our professor, Sonia, where we listened to music, rowed a boat (at first a little shaky, but we quickly became experts) and then shuffled off to Sonia’s apartment to cook some comida. I cooked! Well, actually, I mostly peeled potatoes, but…same thing.
There’s supposed to be a big celebration in the Historical Center this weekend to celebrate Independence Day. I’m excited to go! I was planning on going out tonight with my cousins as well, but that’s been postponed until tomorrow which is probably a good thing. Sometimes 14 hours of sleep just isn’t enough.
On a side note; I’m already working on my Ecuador bucket list, which includes water skiing and cliff jumping.
August 8
Weekends in Quito…WOW. I had wanted to go to the Historical Center for their festivities, but we heard that it was crowded and possibly dangerous, so we (as in my cousins Karen and Andres and our now mutual friend Andres… I’m fairly certain that 98% of males in this country are named Andres) went dancing at a club called Love. Now, I’m 98% sure that clubs here are 98% more fun than 98% of clubs in the States. BOYS CAN DANCE. However, their flirting skills are terrible. For example:
-“You have beautiful eyes.” (You can tell in the dark?)

-“So you’re not going to kiss a Latino boy?”
“No.”
“My heart hurts.”
-“I’m going to go to school in Texas.”
-“Why don’t you want to be my friend on Facebook? You don’t have feelings for me?”
-“Let’s play a game. I won’t kiss you, but look at my face and see how close I can get.” (I declined)
-“California girl like Katy Perry?”
Fun fact: I watched Eclipse in Spanish.
This week got off on the wrong foot with losing my phone and then getting sick, but it quickly turned into something good. Two weeks strong!
August 10th
I was going to update my blog today, but my flash drive was not in my bag. I remembered that I had taken it to the internet cafĂ© on Sunday and returned to the house with it in my pant pocket. Since it was not on my bedside table, I assumed it was still in my pant pocket. But it wasn’t. I know that it returned safely to my side table on Sunday, but I cannot account for it on Monday. Did I have it in my bag yesterday? Perhaps maybe? Could it have been stolen? Could I have dropped it? I don’t know. I really don’t know. Can I lose my phone and my flash drive in the span of two weeks? Am I really that incompetent?
August 11th
I do not talk nearly as much as I should with my host mother, but I admire her greatly. She is kind. She is patient. She is caring. She is dedicated. Just last week, she was up til 4 or 5 in the morning three nights in a row making and decorating tortas for a wedding. With very little sleep, she was always there to greet me with breakfast in the morning and then to receive the rambunctious grandchildren, whom I so easily lost patience with the other day as they threw handfuls of game pieces around my room.
Everyone comes to her kitchen to unload their worries and receive some “tecito.” She listens patiently to her sister, offers advice to her niece, and chats comfortably with the lady who lives on the top floor. She lives simply. Nothing is rushed. This apartment has a pleasant, peaceful feel to it that draws everyone else in the family to visit, from the energetic little ones to outgoing and confident Karen to the quieter, yet friendly Andres.
She even gathers the bread crumbs at the table to leave for the birds.
August 14th
Every time I go out dancing, I love Quito a little more.
This weekend is turning out much different than planned. Karen had intended for us to go to the beach. We had a ride, but no place to stay, so that fell through. Then we thought that we might go to Banos, but that also fell through. But there’s always something to do here. Karen, Andy, Andy, and Andy’s girlfriend took me Papallacta; beautiful volcanic hot springs in the mountains. The hot water was a wonderful contrast to the drizzly weather and the landscape was breathtaking. Steam and light rain clouded our vision, ceasing every so often to reveal a clearer view of the thick, rolling clouds that embellished the lush greenery of the mountains that surrounded us. The ride home was treated with sightings of waterfalls and rainbows and I thought of how lucky I was to be able to come to this gorgeous country and experience such a thing as this.
Then there was salsa. I think I might become obsessed with salsa dancing. Karen and I are even considering taking lessons. They are $45 a month for 3 times a week. If I can fit it in my schedule, I will, because it is just absolutely so much fun. Even the times that I wasn’t dancing, it was incredible just to watch. Oh the things they could do…I had the privilege of dancing with a national champion who will be on ESPN for a competition in December. How cool is that?
August 15th
Last night we went to a rodeo in the Plaza de Torros that is just down the street. With country music blasting and everyone decked in chaps and cowboy hats, I felt more like I was in the Midwest than in the capital of Ecuador. I’m not sure how I feel about rodeos. I don’t agree with the way that most of the animals are treated, particularly the broncos and bulls. But I enjoyed watching the barrel racing competition and a beautiful display of dressage.
I’ve also been missing some Desi influence in my life. I’ve missed it so much that I bought Dhoom and made mi prima watch some of it with me. Everyone here knows about my lovely Indian roommate.  Karen loves my “I love youuu” Ruchi impression.

2 comments:

  1. Haha I think you already are obsessed with salsa. :P But that's ok, i actually miss it a lot too!
    Where are you going to take that class?
    And i loved papallacta!! So relaxing! Did you try going into the really hot pool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha idk...we only went in one pool :)

    ReplyDelete